Top 10 Quotes About Writing and Creativity
- “What a writer can do, what a fiction writer or a poet or an essay writer can do, is re-engage people with their own humanity. Fiction and essays can create empathy for the theoretical stranger.” –Barbara Kingsolver
- “There’s room for everybody on the planet to be creative and conscious if you are your own person. If you’re trying to be like somebody else, then there isn’t.”- Tori Amos
- Everyone deserves Sanctuary a place to go where you are safe
Art offers Sanctuary to everyone willing
to open their hearts as well as their eyes
“Art Sanctuary” by Nikki Giovanni, from Quilting the Black-Eyed Pea.
- Joy Williams said: “The writer doesn’t trust his enemies, of course, who are wrong about his writing, but he doesn’t trust his friends, either, who he hopes are right. The writer trusts nothing he writes — it should be too reckless and alive for that, it should be beautiful and menacing and slightly out of his control. It should want to live itself somehow.”
- Julian Barnes said that a great book “is a book that describes the world in a way that has not been done before; and that is recognized by those who read it as telling new truths — about society or the way in which emotional lives are led, or both.”
- ”Writing saved me from the sin and inconvenience of violence.” Alice Walker
- Stories have to be told
or they die,
and when they die,
we can’t remember
who we are
or why we are here.
Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees
- “When I’m writing, I am concentrating almost wholly on concrete detail: the color a room is painted, the way a drop of water rolls off a wet leaf after a rain.” –Novelist, Donna Tartt
- “You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children.” –Madeleine L’Engle
- “I have this sense of urgency about what I want to get done and I discipline myself by keeping to myself.” –Marilynne Robinson
Do any of these quotes speak to you? What’s your favorite? As always, I’d love to hear from you.